Currently PALA has 51 paid members from 15 states. The number of paid members is
down from a peak of 101 in 2014. Membership renewal was moved to January for all members.
Account Balance: $2,459.11 – January 1, 2015 $2,493.12 – December 31, 2015
Income: $1,050.58 – Membership Dues
Expenditures: $1,016.57 – Website redesign, Internet Domain Fee, Hosting Service Fee,
Annual Illinois Secretary of State Registration, Annual Meeting expenses, stamps, and PO Box
BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2016-2017
Leonard Kniffel, President
Ewa Barczyk, Vice-President/President Elect
Elizabeth Marszalik, Treasurer
Joanna Klos, Secretary
Paulina Poplawska, Director at Large
Ronald Stoch, Director at Large
ACTIVITIES AND DEVELOPMENTS
- The new direction of PALA, a resolution adopted by the PALA Board of Directors in 2015, is to focus its energy and resources on networking and career development through four primary activity areas:
- Planning and conducting the Annual Meeting and participating in other national, state, and international conferences, and in other networking forums.
- Improving communication and resource sharing with members through the PALA Mine quarterly newsletter, the PALA website, and survey and evaluation forms.
- Recruiting and retaining members through the efficient and effective use and maintenance of the email mailing list.
- Partnering with and supporting the efforts of libraries, library associations, and other related organizations.
- PALAMine, PALA’s quarterly newsletter, was initiated and created by Aldona Salska, PALA founding president
- PALAMine was published on May 2015, June 2015, October 2015, and February 2016
- PALA compiled two new librarian resources
- PALA organized a PALA member meeting at ALA’s Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA
- PALA passed a Resolution of Support for Poland’s Entry into the Visa Waiver Program
- PALA signed IFLA’s Declaration on Access
- PALA obtained free passes to Chicago BookExpo 2016 for PALA members by partnering with BookExpo America and Aquila Polonica Publishing
- PALA held an election before the 2016 Annual Meeting to elect new board members and revise bylaws. The member response rate was 44.9 % (22 members voted), 100% of votes were YES for the bylaws revision, there were no write-in candidates, and all nominated candidates were automatically elected. There are three Director at Large vacant positions.
COOPERATION WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
- PALA supports “The World Knew: Jan Karski’s Mission for Humanity” traveling exhibit featured at 21 institutions
- PALA supported the Polish Catholic Immigrants in Chicago Conference at Loyola University, IL
- PALA is partnering with the Polish Museum of America through the appointment of Leonard Kniffel, PALA President, to the PMA Board of Directors
- PALA is partnering with IFLA local organizers in Poland to participate in and promote the 2017 IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Wrocław